Monday, May 3, 2010

Response to Radical Simplicity

Response to Radical Simplicity
Radical Simplicity was an interesting book for me because I do not consider myself particularly "green". If it wasn't for this class, I probably would not have ever even heard of Merkel or his quest for a world full of global citizens. But I am glad that I was assigned this book and it taught me a lot. Going into the book, I presumed that Merkel would try to guilt us into living a lifestyle suited the concept of global living. While there are large chunks of the book where he does indeed do this, I don't think that that is his fault. We should feel guilty. The concept that we, as Americans, take up far more of the global potluck than our fellow man is inherently a guilt trip. I think that Merkel is simply stating facts, not espousing a Communist agenda (though he does do this as well). The guilt I felt while reading this book has struck a chord with me because I now think about the simpler things I can do, such as turning off lights and using less paper waste. It has also encouraged me and the other students who have read Merkel's account to take up a global living lifestyle. It seems difficult at first, but it is not impossible. For me, I think that living on Merkel's meager income would be next to impossible because of the lifestyle I am accustomed to and for the sheer fact that I think I can fulfill global living by giving back to charities who support sustainability and making choices that will benefit the environment. But I do agree that we must make better decisions and realize the full impact of the choices we make, especially with what we purchase at the supermarket, clothing stores, and car lot.
One thing that I don't think can happen as a result of Radical Simplicity is that people will cease going after the American dream and pursue more sustainable lifestyles. I think that people who are more affluent to start out can make the decision to become sustainable because they have a safety net to fall back on. Let's not forget that Merkel comes from a wealthier background. While global living is ideal, its just not practical for most people. Our culture has ingrained in us a thirst for consumerism and it will be next to impossible for us to wean ourselves off of the love of stuff. Poor people do not want to live the way they do because they want stuff, just like the more affluent people. I think that Merkel's ideas are well meaning but impractical because of the passion and desire to move up the economic ladder and we know that the richer you are, the more you consume.
All in all, I really enjoyed Radical Simplicity. It benefitted me because I want to learn more about sustainability and this was a good example for an introductory class for sustainability. Merkel's message has resonated with me and I am trying to change the way I see the world. It has also helped me talk to people who think that we do not have a problem because it has given me sound factual evidence to the contrary.

No comments:

Post a Comment